Our History

1918


In 1918, the Sisters of St. Francis, Clinton, Iowa, founded Mount St. Clare College as a junior college for women.

1918

Our History

1918


In 1918, the Sisters of St. Francis, Clinton, Iowa, founded Mount St. Clare College as a junior college for women.

1930

Our History

1930


Originally an outgrowth of Mount St. Clare Academy (which was founded in 1893), the College was designed to meet a higher education need in Clinton and the surrounding area. MSC held its first formal commencement in 1930, and from 1932 to 1954, the College's teacher education program prepared 62 percent of all teachers who worked in the schools of Clinton County.

1950

Our History

1950


In 1950, the College was first accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and has since maintained accreditation.

1958

Our History

1958


The year 1958 was a year of building for the College. Construction of a spacious two-story library building was completed. Also being erected at this time were the St. Francis Auditorium/Gymnasium and the Mount St. Clare Speech and Hearing Center.

1960s

Our History

1960


Expansion continued in the early 1960s with the construction of Durham Hall, a residence hall, in 1962, and the Science Building in 1965.

1979

Our History

1979


In April 1979, MSC received approval to award baccalaureate degrees. The first degree offered was Business Administration.

 

1981

Our History

1981


First baccalaureate degree confirmed during graduation May 1981. The first student to complete course work for a Bachelor of Arts degree did so in December 1980.

1998

Our History

1998


The Durgin Educational Center was completed in April 1998. The first commencement ceremony was held there in May. Dedication ceremonies were held in September.

2002

Our History

2002


In December 2002, MSC became The Franciscan University, and in May 2004 it conferred its first Master's degrees.

2005

Our History

2005


Bridgepoint Education, Inc., a higher education organization, acquired the institution in 2005, and its name was changed to Ashford University®.

2009

Our History

2009


Ashford University in 2009 announced its innovative Academic Scholarship Program, which rewards full-time, Clinton campus students for excellence in academic achievement and can cover up to 100 percent of a student’s tuition. The scholarships were first offered during the fall 2010 semester and have been continued for fall 2011 and 2012.

2010

Our History

2010


In response to ongoing student population growth, Ashford purchased the Best Western Frontier Motor Inn in Clinton in 2010 to serve as a permanent, fully functioning residence hall.

In 2010, Ashford University announced plans to open its newly-acquired indoor Ashford University Community Tennis Center to the public.

2011

Our History

2011


In 2011, Ashford University partnered with the Clinton LumberKings (Midwest League affiliate of the Seattle Mariners) to rename historic Riverview Stadium as “Ashford University Field.” Ashford will use the stadium for approximately 14 of its baseball team’s regular season games.  

2012

Our History

2012


Ashford University logo

Ashford University acquired a new logo, the badge of achievement. Also, Ashford launched its first national advertising campaign promoting the unique message, Technology Changes EverythingTM, through advertising online, in print, and on television. Finally, the spring commencement ceremony found a new home at the i wireless Center in Moline, IL.

2013

Our History

2013


Forbes School of Business | Ashford University

Ashford University became accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC). Also, the College of Business and Professional Studies became the Forbes School of Business due to the alliance formed between Ashford and Forbes Media. Business students gained access to business scholarships, speaker series events, and content from Forbes archives integrated into their courses.