Faculty ScholarshipQ3 2013
- Dr. Tony Valley, Assistant Professor, College of Education had a paper accepted for presentation at the Hawaii International Conference on Education scheduled for January 2015: A Case Study: The Professional Reading Seminar.
- Ekaterina Gorislavsky, Associate Faculty, College of Liberal Arts will present Race-Ethnic Differences in Reporting Rape and Sexual Assault Experiences, Based on NCVS 1994-2010 at the Annual Meeting of the American Society of Criminology in Atlanta, Georgia.
Dr. Barbara Hall, Assistant Professor, College of Education had a 3-hour pre-conference workshop accepted by the Association for Educational Communications and Technology (AECT) in November 2014. The workshop, Say What? Designing, Facilitating, and Assessing for Intersubjectivity within Online Discussions, will be conducted with Dr. Janine Lim, Associate Dean, Online Higher Education, Andrews University. The pair successfully facilitated a similar workshop at the U.S. Distance Learning Association (USDLA) conference in April 2013.
- Drs. Stephen Brewer and Jeral Kirwan, Assistant Professors, and Dr. Eric Klein, Chair of the Department of Behavioral Sciences, College of Health, Human Services, and Science have had a presentation proposal entitled “Learning Better Together: Outcomes Related to Motivation to Join an Online Learning Community” accepted as an Information Session to be presented at the 20th Annual Conference on Online Learning, held from October 29-31, 2014. The conference will be take place at the Walt Disney Swan and Dolphin Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.
- Dr. Richard C. Leventhal, Assistant Professor, Forbes School of Business received an Outstanding Service Award from the Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence in July 2014 for his work as Editor of the Journal of Consumer Marketing.
July - September 2014
- Drs. Lora Reed and Andree Swanson, Assistant Professors, and Bill Davis, Instructor, Forbes School of Business will present A review of current literature on transformational and servant leadership as applies to distance education, speed session, 30th Annual Distance Learning Conference, University of Wisconsin-Madison, WI in August.
- Drs. Omar Parks and Andree Swanson, Assistant Professors, Forbes School of Business had a publication accepted in July 2014 entitled Student engagement, e-connectivity, and creating relationships in the online classroom. This publication was presented at the 17th Annual Missouri Distance Learning Conference and Membership Meeting held in Kansas City, MO on July 17, 2014.
- Dr. Andree Swanson, Assistant Professor, Forbes School of Business had a publication accepted in July 2014 entitled Servant leadership in the online classroom. This publication was presented at the 17th Annual Missouri Distance Learning Conference and Membership Meeting held in Kansas City, MO on July 17, 2014.
- Dr. Hwang-Ji (Sherrie) Lu, Assistant Professor, College of Health, Human Services, and Science will present “Using Multimedia to Enhance Online Classroom Experiences” in August 2014 at the Teaching and Learning Conference of the 74th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management in Philadelphia, PA.
- Dr. Hwang-Ji (Sherrie) Lu, Assistant Professor, College of Health, Human Services, and Science will present “The Impact of Using Multimedia on Student’s Learning” in September 2014 at the ICDE International Conference in Moscow, Russia.
April - June 2014
- Drs. Gertrude Hewapathira, Assistant Professor, and Nils Jonas Ohrberg, Assistant Professor, Forbes School of Business will present “An assessment of business competency needs: US business managers’ suggestions for business educators to prepare future global leaders” at the IACBE Conference in San Diego, CA.
- Drs. Paula Zobisch and Andree Swanson, Assistant Professors, Forbes School of Business will present Theory of multiple intelligences: Teaching critical thinking in an online classroom at the Marketing Educator’s Association (MEA) Conference 2014, San Jose, CA.
- Dr. Alan Belcher, Assistant Professor, College of Education had his proposal accepted to present Using Program Review to Identify and Effect Needed Change at the WASC conference in April. His co-presenters are Dr. Stephen Halfaker and Dr. Gina Warren also from the College of Education.
- Dr. Nicholas Jewczyn, Assistant Professor in the Forbes™ School of Business had 4 publications accepted for April 2014. A literature review of economic history merger waves from 1965 to 1990 (print and online) in The International Journal of Economics and Social Science, 3(1), 1-15. Print ISSN: 2325-7830, Online ISSN: 2325-7849, and A literature review of economic history portfolio theory from 1952 to 1986 (print and online) in The Mustang Journal of Business & Ethics, 6(1), 1-13. Print ISSN: 1949-1735, Online ISSN: 1949-1727.
- An interdisciplinary team of Drs. Andree Swanson (Assistant Professor), Bill Davis (Instructor), Karen Ivy (Assistant Professor), Forbes School of Business; Christine McMahon, Assistant Professor, and Matt Laubacher, Academic Dept. Chair, College of Liberal Arts had a virtual presentation accepted: Lessons learned: Video in the online classroom. Virtual presentation, VII International Guide Conference: Cultural Identity in the Midst of Global Modernizations: The Role of Distance Education, Universidad Panamericana, Guatemala City, Guatemala.
- Dr. Steve Woodsmall, Associate Faculty, Forbes School of Business had a presentation accepted: Transformational leadership and effective teaching: A comparison. Presentation at The International Academy of Business And Public Administration Disciplines (IABPAD) Spring conference. Dallas, TX
- Associate Deans Dr. Jorge Cardenas and Dr. Patricia Ryan, Forbes School of Business will be presenting their paper at the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education IACBE Conference: Are Students Learning What We Say They Are? The Importance and process for Conducting Effective Program Reviews in the Business Curriculum.
- Dr. Justin Harrison, Associate Dean, College of Liberal Arts presented The Negative Virtue of Autonomous Self-Destruction at the PCA/ACA 2014 Conference in Chicago, IL in April 2014.
- Dr. Justin Harrison, Associate Dean, College of Liberal Arts presented Assessing the Communication Competency Across Disciplines and Modalities: A Collaborative Model at the WASC ARC 2014 Conference in Los Angeles, CA in April.
- Dr. Justin Harrison, Associate Dean, College of Liberal Arts had a publication accepted in The American Philosophical Association Newsletter. Limits to the Pursuit of Philosophy for Post-Traditional Female and Minority Students in On-Ground and Online Educational Modalities in Feminism and Philosophy: The American Philosophical Association Newsletter, 13(2), 12-18. Online ISSN: 2155-9708.
- Dr. Claire DeCristofaro, Assistant Professor, College of Health, Human Services, and Science recently went to the International Journal of Arts and Sciences (IJAS) conference in Boston, MA hosted at Harvard Medical School where she presented two posters soon to be made into manuscripts for submissions to IJAS.
- Dr. Wayne Briner, Assistant Professor, College of Health, Human Services, and Science had a publication accepted in June 2014. The Alchemist’s Approach to Metal Poisoning: Transforming the Metal Burden in Toxics, 2, 364-376. Online ISSN: 2305-6304.
- Dr. Sanaa Riaz, Assistant Professor, College of Liberal Arts and Chair of Ashford University’s Applied Linguistics program published an ethnography in spring 2014. New Islamic schools: Tradition, modernity, and class in urban Pakistan. New York, NY: Palgrave MacMillan.
- Dr. Magdy Hussein, Assistant Professor, Forbes School of Business had a publication accepted in June 2014. Ethics, the progressive development of corporate leadership in International Journal of Core Engineering and Management, 1(3), 26-45. Online ISSN: 2348-9510.
- Dr. Andree Swanson, Assistant Professor, Forbes School of Business published an article in summer 2014 along with fellow academics Maria Minor and Bill Pollard. A review of the Community of Inquiry model focusing on Instructor Social Presence in Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration (OJDLA), 7(2).
- Dr. Steven Gardiner, Associate Professor, College of Liberal Arts recently had three articles accepted for publication. Stop the pay, stop the play in Phi Delta Kappan, 95(8), 39-42; Let students write their masterpiece in Educational Leadership, 71(7), 67-70; and Supporting student resilience in the classroom on Edutopia (online).
- Dr. Nicholas Jewczyn, Assistant Professor in the Forbes™ School of Business had a number of non-fiction books published by AuthorHouse in New York, NY, including Money from Mergers: A Primer for the Beginner or Seasoned Campaigner for Corporate Mergers and Acquisitions, Price and Valuation: A Way to Determine the Actual Price of a Company and the Associated Common Stock, and Theory and Portfolios: An Economic History of MPT, APT, and the CAPM from 1952 to 1986.
- Dr. Joen Larson, Dean of the College of Education, has been invited to serve on the Committee on Government Relations and Advocacy for the American Association for Colleges for Teacher Education. Her term of service will run from March 1, 2014 through February 28, 2017.
- Dr. Irina Weisblat, Assistant Professor, Forbes School of Business published Exploring alignment of community college students for preparedness and achievement of basic skills. Community College Journal of Research and Practice, 38(1), 5—23. The publication is now available online at Taylor and Francis: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10668926.2010.492744
- Drs. Lora Reed and Andree Swanson, Assistant Professors, Forbes School of Business presented Servant leadership as a means of innovation and leader development in the online classroom and beyond at Association for Business Simulation and Experiential Learning (ABSEL) 41st Conference 2014, Orlando, FL.
- Dr. Andree Swanson, Assistant Professor, Forbes School of Business presented Emotional intelligence in financial planning virtually at the 2014 Eleventh Annual Institute for Emotional Intelligence, McClellan Community College, Waco, TX.
- Dr. Tony Valley, Assistant Professor, College of Education presented Reforming Teacher Education Programs: A Response to Changing Student Demographics at the Hawaii International Conference on Education.
- Drs. Andrew Shean, Stephen Halfaker, and Gina Warren, College of Education presented "Transforming Education: 21st Century Education - Has anything really changed?" on January 14 for No Excuses University.
- Dr. Gertrude Hewapathirana, Assistant Professor, Forbes School of Business had two research papers accepted for presentation at the 2014 AHRD International Conference in the Americas in February in Houston, Texas: The Evolution of HRD Philosophy, Players and Practices in Sri Lanka and Research Horizons: Scale Assessment and Guidelines for Evaluating Scale Efficacy. Additionally, she co-authored a paper with Dr. Mauvalyn Bowen, Assistant Professor, Forbes School of Business, which was also presented at the same conference. The paper was entitled Using Online Modality of Teaching for Post-Secondary Education: Engaging in the Learning Community.
- Dr. Michelle Warn, Program Chair, College of Education wrote a post, Originality Matters: Making Academic Integrity a Teachable Moment, on the WICHE Cooperative for Educational Technologies (WCET) blog.
- Dr. Katie Bojakowski, Assistant Professor, College of Liberal Arts presented the keynote address at the annual conference Shipwrecks 2014: Maritime Tragedies of the 20th Century in March in Victoria, BC, Canada.
- Dr. Efuea Akoma, Assistant Professor, College of Liberal Arts presented “Responding To Trayvon Martin’s Death: A Grassroots Approach”at the National Council For Black Studies March 5-8, 2014, Miami, Fl.
- Dr. Jean Gabriel Starika-Jolivet, Political Science Chair, College of Liberal Arts, Dr. John Ackerman and Jamie Weitl, College of Liberal Arts, and Patrick Johnson presented a workshop at the American Political Science Association’s Teaching and Learning Conference in February. This group received an Ashford University Fellowship Grant that allowed them to collaborate on the workshop entitled, “Evaluating Course Revisions Multimedia Learning Technology, and their Impact on Student Engagement and Deep Learning.”
- Dr. Alan Belcher, Assistant Professor, College of Education and Dr. Susan Luck, Associate Faculty, College of Liberal Arts will present “Having the Right Tool for the Job” at the Technology Trends in Teaching and Communication Conference sponsored by the Southeast Region of the International Association for Business Communication.
- Dr. Eric Klein, Behavioral Science Department Chair, College of Health, Human Services, and Science has been named Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Psychology and Behavioral Science . The interdisciplinary international journal publishes empirical research and theoretical articles in applied areas of psychology and behavioral science.
- Bill Davis, Instructor, Forbes School of Business presented Groups, diversity and creativity to Clinton Leadership School, Clinton Chamber of Commerce, Clinton, Iowa in March
- Bill Davis, Instructor, Forbes School of Business presented Leading change and getting to yes to Clinton Leadership School, Clinton Chamber of Commerce, Clinton, Iowa in February
- Bill Davis, Instructor, Forbes School of Business presented Passion, purpose and time management to Idea Lab, Results Marketing, St. Ambrose University Professional Development Center, Davenport, Iowa in January.
October - December 2013
- Dr. Magdy M. Hussein, Assistant Professor, Forbes School of Business had her article Dynamic Learning, New Classroom Management Approach published in the International Journal of Education and Research.
- Dr. Lynne Trevisan and Dr. Claire DeCristofaro, Assistant Professors in the College of Health, Human Services, and Science, presented Peer-review of teaching performance: Is inter-rater reliability improved by provision of directed instructions? at the 2013 Sloan-C conference.
- Dr. Eric Klein, Behavioral Sciences Department Chair in the College of Health, Human Services, and Science, and Jodi Feikema, Associate Faculty, presented Academic Program Review: An Evolution of the Process Based on Lessons Learned and Best Practices at the 2013 Sloan-C conference.
- Dr. Carl Beyer, College of Education Assistant Professor, completed two conference presentations. He co-presented The PRISM Competencies of 21st Century Education; Teaching with Culture Based Education Models at the International Society for Exploring Teaching and Learning Annual Conference on October 17, 2013 in Orlando, Florida. He also presented Comparing and Contrasting the Education of Native Americans and Native Hawaiians at the Organization of Education Historians, on October 4, 2013 in Chicago, Illinois.
- Dr. Laurie Wellner, College of Education Assistant Professor, presented Discipline 202: What Works? What Doesn’t? at the Association of California School Administrators Region XIX General Membership Meeting, on October 17, 2013 in Beaumont, California. This presentation was specifically in support of new K-12 school administrators seeking information regarding discipline regulations in public schools. Additionally, she made two presentations with Maryam Diaab Hall, Grant Services Manager at the California League of Schools, during the organization's Annual Conference South: Technology Enriched Teaching: Trends in Blended Learning and 4G Synergy: Intergenerational Collaboration for Implementing the Common Core.
- Dr. Paula Zobisch and Dr. Andree Swanson, Assistant Professors in the Forbes School of Business, presented twice at the Institute of Behavioral and Applied Management (IBAM) Conference in San Diego. They presented FREE -- Adding voice and infographics to your classroom or feedback and An Assessment of Emotional Intelligence Understanding and Consumer Behavior. Dr. Swanson was also part of a research team that presented Instructor social presence within the Community of Inquiry framework and its impact on classroom community and the learning environment. Drs Zobisch and Swanson served as chairs for the IBAM conference.
- Dr. Jongbok Byun, an Associate Professor and Program Chair in the Forbes School of Business, co-authored A Case Study on Supply Chain Strategies and Buyer-Supplier Relationships of Nexen Tire America, Inc. The article was published in Business Education Research, 28(4), pp.433-455. The case study investigated the critical success factors in designing a supply chain management system. Based on the buyer-supplier relationship (BSR) model, Dr. Byun identified what made NexenAm so successful in the market.
- Dr. Judy Donovan, College of Education Assistant Professor, had her article College Students’ Attitudes toward Service Learning in Northwest Indiana published in the South Shore Journal.
- Dr. Irina Weisblat, Assistant Professors in the Forbes School of Business, is a contributing author to the “International Business” section of the National Standards. The publication is now available in print from: http://www.nbea.org/ National Standards for Business Education (2013). Richmond, VA: NBEA.
- Dr. Andrew Shean, Executive Dean, College of Education, presented Transforming Education through the Power of Technology and Adaptive Assessment during the No Excuses University annual conference in San Antonio, Texas.
- Dr. David Deifell, Associate Professor in the College of Liberal Arts, saw the publication of a book published with a colleague in the field of communication. Newman, Robert P, with David Deifell. Invincible Ignorance in American Foreign Policy: The Triumph of Ideology over Evidence. New York: Peter Lang, 2013.
- Dr. Cheryl Lemus, Assistant Professor, College of Liberal Arts, published her article Save your baby, save ten percent: National baby week, the infants' department, and the modern pregnant woman, 1905-1925 in Journal of Women's History, 25(3), Fall.
- Dr. Richard Leventhal, Assistant Professor, Forbes School of Business, has the following recent publications:
Fowler, D., Pitta, D., and Leventhal,R (2013). Technological advancements and social challenges for one-to-one marketing, The Journal of Consumer Marketing, 30(6)
Bui,M., Kaltcheva,V., Patino,A. and Leventhal, R (2013). Front-of-package product labels: Influences in varying nutritional food-labels on parental decisions, The Journal of Product & Brand Management, 22(5/6).
- Dr. Michelle Rosser, Assistant Professor in the College of Health, Human Services, and Science, has a book, Becoming an Integrated Educational Leader, being published by Peter Lang of New York and is due to go to press in December 2013.
- Dr. Daniel Villa, Assistant Professor, College of Health, Human Services, and Science, has been appointed as a committee member on the HIV Prevention Planning Committee for the County of Orange, which is part of the HIV Planning Council for Orange County, California.
- Dr. Diane Hamilton, Assistant Professor, Forbes School of Business published “Exploring the relationship between media choices and teaching experience in online courses” in Center for Scholastic Inquiry: Education, 1(1), 134-146.
- Dr. Lisa Marie Johnson, College of Education, has accepted an invitation to continue in her role as Co-Chair of the WICHE Conference on Educational Technology (WCET) Common Interest Group on “Academic Integrity and Authentication”. Dr. Johnson will serve as co-chair with Matthew Prineas, Ph.D. (University of Maryland University College) and Luke Dowden, Ed.D. (University of Louisiana at Lafayette).
- Dr. Barbara Hall, College of Education, presented twice during the international conference of the Association for Educational Communications and Technology, the premiere organization for instructional design. Her first presentation, Correlating Outcomes of Quality Matters Standard 5.2 in Asynchronous Discussions, was partially funded by her University Fellows Program grant. Her second presentation, Revising Expectations for Peer Interaction, was based on research conducted with Dr. Janine Lim, Associate Dean of Online Higher Education at Andrews University.
- Dr. Kathy Wood, Assistant Professor, College of Health, Human Services, and Science published Applications for Managing Institutions Delivering Healthcare. In Health Informatics (pp. 107-114). St. Louis, Missouri: Elsevier. (Contributor) and Provider Based Billing: The Management Impact. Tarheel News, 47(2), 24-25.
- Dr. Kunsoo Paul Choi, Assistant Professor, Forbes School of Business published Paul's Life, Epistles, and the Central Themes of His Theology (in Korean. Qumran Publishing House, ISBN Number: 978-89-6562-375-5.
- D.A. Frey, Instructor, Forbes School of Business presented Backwards IS Better at the Teachers of Accounting at Two Year Colleges Conference, Long Beach, CA
- Dr. Alan Belcher, Assistant Professor, College of Education presented "Indicators of Student (and Faculty) Success: Assessment in Online Education" at the annual conference of the Carolinas Communication Association. The conference theme was "Civility in the Classroom," and Dr. Belcher's presentation was part of a panel discussing "A Civil Approach to Online Education: Strategies for Success." Other panelists were affiliated with The University of Florida, Appalachian State University, and Pfeiffer University.
- Dr. Andrew Shean, Executive Dean, College of Education was recognized for serving as an ambassador for civic and community events. A flag was flown over the U.S. Capitol in his honor.
- Drs. Suzanne Power, Mihaela Tanasescu, Tony Farrell, and Denise Maxwell, College of Liberal Arts, College of Health, Human, Services, and Science, and College of Education (respectively) presented Elevating the faculty experience. WCET 25th Annual Meeting, Denver, November.
- Dr. Irina Weisblat, Assistant Professor, Forbes School of Business is the President of the California Business Education Association (CBEA). She hosted the 78th CBEA annual conference at The Westin Hotel in downtown San Diego on November 15-17, 2013. The conference theme was “Innovation in business education”. More details can be found at: www.cbeaonline.org
- Dr. Elaine Alden, Chair of Sociology, College of Liberal Arts presented at the annual meeting of Gerontology Society of America in November. The talk was entitled “The Flexible Employment Proposition: selling the ‘right thing to do’ to organizations". A recording of the talk can be found on the following link: http://bpiedu.adobeconnect.com/p6v3zzgqwjc/
- Dr. Trevor Albertson, Assistant Professor, College of Liberal Arts published three articles in the SAGE Encyclopedia of Military Science. These volumes are used by defense and government professionals, as well as academics, as a reliable source for information and analysis concerning a broad range of international security concerns. The three articles are: “United States Strategic Command”; “United States Air Force Pilot Training”; and “Unconventional Warfare”. “United States Strategic Command,” Encyclopedia of Military Science, ed. G Kurt Piehler (Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE, 2013). “United States Air Force Pilot Training,” Encyclopedia of Military Science, ed. G Kurt Piehler (Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE, 2013). “Unconventional Warfare,” Encyclopedia of Military Science, ed. G Kurt Piehler (Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE, 2013).
- Bill Davis, Instructor, Forbes School of Business published Classroom leadership. Virtual Presentation for Think Tank, San Diego, CA: Ashford University.
July - September 2013
- Dr. Andree Swanson is an Assistant Professor in the Forbes School of Business, and in September presented The Future of Emotional Intelligence within the Financial Planning Context at the 2013 Financial Therapy Association Conference at Texas Tech University in Lubbock, Texas.
- Dr. Jongbok Byun, Forbes School of Business Associate Professor, and Dr. Jorge Cardenas, Associate Dean, presented A Study of Online Presence in Digital Learning Environments at the Association for Information Systems Conference, August 2013, Chicago, IL.
- Dr. Barbara Hall, Assistant Professor in the College of Education and Research Fellow, facilitated a session titled Why Increasing Interaction Isn’t Enough, during the eLearning Guild’s August forum, Collaborative and Social Learning: Best Practices for Learning with Others.
- Dr. Maja Zelihic, Forbes School of Business Assistant Professor, published The Study of Conflict Management among Taiwanese Adolescents in the Life Science Journal.
- James Meetze, Instructor of English, College of Liberal Arts was selected as Judge of the 2013 PEN Center USA Literary Award for Poetry. Also, on July 25, he read and presented on a panel in Tijuana as part of the 4th Annual Festival de Poesia Tijuana, which is sponsored by the government of Mexico. He read with the translator, Aurelio Merzbau, who is currently translating his book Dayglo (2011) into Spanish. On the 22rd of July, 2013 Instructor Meetze lead a workshop at San Diego Writers Ink, a non-profit community organization for writers.
- Bill Davis, Instructor, Forbes School of Business published Getting to Yes. Virtual Presentation for USDLA - United States Distance Learning Association.
- Dr. Jeral Kirwan, Assistant Professor, co-chaired the Research and Theory Special Interest Group of the Commission of Professors of Adult and Continuing Education from 2012-2013.
- Dr. Barbara Hall, Assistant Professor, published a book review (Student Participation in Online Discussions by Hew and Wing) in the International Review of Open and Distance Learning, 14(3), 519-521 in July 2013.
- Dr. Jacquelyn Ryan-Rojas, Assistant Professor, College of Liberal Arts presented Collateral Effects of High Instructor Response in Online Student Activity Completion, ARC Conference, Western Association of Schools and Colleges, San Diego, California, April.
- Dr. Jeral Kirwan, Assistant Professor, College of Health, Human Services, and Science, and associates presented Changing lives: How Leaders of Philanthropic Organizations Understand their Mission—An Empirical Study. This work was also published in the Proceedings of the 54th Annual Adult Education Research Conference in St Louis, MO, in spring 2013.
- Dr. Jeral Kirwan, Assistant Professor, College of Health, Human Services, and Science, and associates made two presentations at the 62nd Annual American Association of Adult and Continuing Education (AAACE) International Conference in Lexington, KY in spring 2013. The first was entitled Role Play Learning Styles and the second Virtual Instructor Dispositions and Personalities.
- Dr. Gloria Zuniga y Postigo, Assistant Professor, presented Hayek and the Common Good at the Cosmos & Taxis Conference, University of British Columbia, Canada, May 31-June 2, 2013.
- Dr. Kunsoo Choi, Assistant Professor, published Paul's Life, Epistles, and the Central Themes of His Theology in June 2013 with Qumran Publishing House.
- Dr. Gloria Zuniga y Postigo, Assistant Professor, presented Emotion and Reason: Stein on the Constitution of Moral Value at the International Conference on Edith Stein, King’s University College at the University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada, June 12-14, 2013.
- Dr. Elaine Alden, Assistant Professor presented her paper Flexible Employment Access and the Older Worker: A British Study at the Global Conference on International Human Resources Management held at The Pennsylvania State University, State College, PA in May 2013.
- Dr. Justin Harrison, Academic Department Chair, presented his papers The Gods Have Flown the Earth: The Importance of the Absence of God in Postmodern Christianity at the Subverting the Norm Conference in Springfield, MO, and Why Do You Teach That? Inherent Racism in Assumptions about Underprivileged Students and Core Texts in the History of Philosophy at the Association for Core Tests and Courses 19th Annual Conference in Gatineau-Ottawa, Canada in April 2013. He also presented his poster Psychopathology and Moral Culpability: The Unconscious Conscious of the Psychopath at the Philosophical Issues in Crime and Mental Illness Conference in San Francisco, California in May 2013.
- Dr. Virginia Loh-Hagan, Assistant Professor, co-authored with Helen Foster James the book Paper Son: Lee’s Journey to America, published by Sleeping Bear Press in May 2013.
- Alice L. "Aley" Martin, Associate Faculty, gave a presentation at the Assessment, Teaching, & Learning Conference held in Spokane Washington on May 1, 2013. Her work was titled The Academic Agora: Education through Understanding the Self While Learning the Disciplines.
- Dr. Andree Swanson, Assistant Professor, received 2 awards at the Conference on Business and Finance, in May 2013 in Costa Rica. These awards were Best in Session, and Outstanding Research, for An Assessment of Emotional Intelligence Understanding in the Field of Financial Planning.
- Dr. Elaine Alden, Dr. Ray Powers, and Dr. Alan Swank co-presented their paper Establishing Teacher Presence in the Online Environment: Guidance of Best Practice at the Sloan Consortium: Emerging Technologies in Online Education Conference in Las Vegas, NV in April 2013. They presented their poster Exemplary Teacher Presence: Guidance of Best Practice at the 2013 WASC Academic Resource Conference in San Diego, CA in April 2013.
- Dr. Jeffrey Hall, Full Professor, presented his paper Using Quantitative and Qualitative Student Readiness Data to Impact Student Persistence at the Pearson Cite 2013 Online Learning Conference in Chicago, IL in April 2013. He presented his paper Online Orientation: Development, Data, & Lessons Learned and his poster Engaging Adjunct Faculty in Curriculum Development: A Collaborative Approach at The 6th Annual Emerging Technologies for Online Learning International Symposium in Las Vegas, NV in April 2013. Dr. Hall also co-presented with Morgan Johnson their paper Building a Culture of Critical Thinking: A Multi-modal Approach and their poster Implementation of an Orientation Course and Online Student Success at the 2013 WASC Academic Resource Conference in San Diego, CA in April 2013.
- Dr. Bethany Heywood, Assistant Professor, presented her paper Ice Age Minds, Space Times: Discovering the Hunter-gatherer Mindset in Science Fiction at the 75 Years of Science Fiction Interdisciplinary Conference in Burlington, VT in April 2013.
- Dr. Andrew Shean, Dr. Jeffrey Hall, and James Meetze, MFA co-presented their session Discussing Critical Thinking Strategies at the 2013 WASC Academic Resource Conference in San Diego, CA in April 2013.
- Dr. Jacqueline Ryan-Rojas and Dr. Mark Ryan co-presented their paper Collateral Effects of High Instructor Response in Online Student Activity Completion at the 2013 WASC Academic Resource Conference in San Diego, CA in April 2013.
January - March 2013
- Dr. Chase Pielak, Assistant Professor in the College of Liberal Arts, presented the unpublished paper Yes, But in a Zombie Apocalypse at the Annual Meeting of the Far West Popular Culture Association, Las Vegas, NV, which he collaborated on with former Ashford professor Dr. Alex Cohen.
- Dr. Steve Woodsmall, Assistant Professor, Forbes School of Business presented Transformational Leadership and Organizational Effectiveness in January 2013 at the International Academy of Business and Public Administration Disciplines (IABPAD) Winter Conference, Orlando, Florida.