Bachelor of Science in Biology
The Bachelor of Science degree in biology offers students the opportunity to focus on the study of life forms and processes. Ashford University biology majors are exposed to different areas of biology and gain experience in both laboratory and field research. A biology major is particularly valuable for students preparing for postgraduate study in medicine, physical therapy and other health related fields. Students are encouraged to consult the admissions requirements of prospective graduate schools when planning their undergraduate program. Requirements may vary somewhat among different schools and programs.
Graduates from the Biology program will be able to:
- Demonstrate proper experimental and scientific methodologies including laboratory and safety skills;
- Demonstrate critical reading, thinking, and communication skills, using language specific to the sciences;
- Demonstrate a breadth of understanding in the biological sciences for a career in the life sciences;
- Demonstrate critical thinking and reading skills in the analysis of data using appropriate technology to their field; and
- Demonstrate the ability to integrate interdisciplinary knowledge into a personalized emerging body of scientific knowledge.
- Total Minimum Credits Required: 120 credits
- General Education Requirements: 49 credits
- Major Requirements: 58 credits
- Biology Electives: 11 credits
- Unrestricted Electives: 2 credits
Major Core Requirements (58 credits)
BIO 103 Principles of General Biology I (4 credits) **
BIO 104 Principles of General Biology II (4 credits)
BIO 201 Microbiology (4 credits)
BIO 301 Science Seminar (3 credits)
BIO 340 Cell Biology (4 credits)
BIO 498 Senior Thesis/Project I (2 credits) *
BIO 499 Senior Thesis/Project II (2 credits) *
CHE 151 General Chemistry I (4 credits)
CHE 152 General Chemistry II (4 credits)
CHE 301 Organic Chemistry I (5 credits)
CHE 302 Organic Chemistry II (5 credits)
ENG 328 Scientific and Technical Writing (3 credits)
An introductory statistics course (3 credits)
MAT 227 Pre-calculus (3 credits)
MAT 351 Calculus I with Analytic Geometry (4 credits)
PHY 201 College Physics I (4 credits) OR
PHY 202 College Physics II (4 credits)
*Students must earn a "C-" to fulfill degree requirements.
**BIO 103 may also be applied to general education requirements.
Biology Electives (11 credits)
Choose 3 additional biology courses numbered 200 or above, of which one course must be numbered 300 or above.
Ashford University Program Disclosures
Federal regulations published in October, 2010 require institutions to report certain information about students who enrolled in Title IV eligible educational programs that lead to gainful employment in a recognized occupation (GE programs). These required disclosures include a program’s 1) program costs; 2) on-time completion rates; 3) median loan debt; 4) links to O*NET SOC descriptions; and 5) placement rates. Please find all of the required information contained below.
Cohort Retention, Persistence, and Graduation
Information regarding cohort retention, persistence, and graduation data for campus Bachelor’s degree-level students can be found at the following link: Campus Bachelor's Data. Additional disaggregated views of cohort retention, persistence, and graduation for students in all degree levels and modalities are also available.