Entrepreneurship Scholarship Terms & Conditions
2015 ENTREPRENEURSHIP SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCE OF WINNING. THIS SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW.
1. ELIGIBILITY: The Forbes School of Business Entrepreneurship Scholarship Program (the “Scholarship Program”) is open only to the following: (a) current students of Ashford University who are in good standing with respect to the Student Community Standards as outlined in the current Ashford University Academic Catalog and have met satisfactory academic progress guidelines as defined by the applicable degree program; (b) alumni of Ashford University who have graduated from Ashford within twelve (12) months of the start date of the Entry Period; or (c) prospective students of Ashford University who are: (i) legal residents of the United States of America; (ii) at least twenty-two (22) years of age or older as of the start date of the degree program, or be exempt from this requirement by meeting one of the exceptions listed in the Academic Catalog; and (iii) have a valid high school diploma or GED. Employees of Ashford University (“Ashford”), Ashford’s affiliates, subsidiaries, parent and related companies and agents, and members of the immediate family and/or household of any such employee, are not eligible. All federal, state and local rules and regulations apply. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
2. HOW TO ENTER: The Scholarship Program 2015 Entry Period (the “Entry Period”) dates are available on the Entrepreneurship Scholarship Application page. Winners will be announced within 90 days of the close of the Entry Period (the “Winner Announcement Date”). The Scholarship Program is subject to these official rules (“Official Rules”). By entering, all applicants (“Applicants”) agree to be bound by the terms and conditions set forth in these Official Rules. Certain restrictions may apply. To enter, visit the Entrepreneurship Scholarship site (the “Entry Site”) during the Entry Period and follow the entry instructions. Applicants will be required to provide their name, address, telephone number, date of birth, and e-mail address and to submit via the Entry Site a written planfor evaluation by the scholarship committee. Written plan entries must be written in English. All entries must be received by 5:00 pm (Pacific) on the last day of the Entry Period to be eligible. Ashford University’s computer will be the official time clock for the program. Entries will not be acknowledged or returned. In the event of a dispute as to the ownership of an entry, the authorized account holder of the email address used to submit an entry will be deemed to be the Applicant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. The potential winner may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder. There is a limit of one entry per person and per e-mail address. APPLICANTS WHO SUBMIT MULTIPLE ENTRIES WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. ALL ENTRIES MUST BE RECEIVED BY 5:00 PM (Pacific Time) ON THE LAST DAY OF THE ENTRY PERIOD. When you apply for the Scholarship Program, you may be asked to consent to receive promotional e-mails and reminders for promotions and information about online education. Consenting to receive such e-mails is optional and is not a requirement for participation in the Scholarship Program and does not improve your chances of winning. Entry must be made by the Applicant only at the Entry Site. Entries made by any other individual or any entity and/or originating at any other Internet website or e-mail address will be void. The use of any device, hardware and/or computer software to automate the entry process is prohibited.
3. ENTREPRENEURSHIP WRITTEN PLAN GUIDELINES: The written plan must comply with the following guidelines: (a) the written plan(including the copyright in the written plan) must be owned by the Applicant; (b) the written plan must not previously have been distributed publicly or won any award; (c) the written plan must not contain any material that would violate or infringe upon the rights of any third party, including without limitation copyrights, trademarks or rights of privacy or publicity, or that is defamatory, threatening, indecent, obscene or offensive, or that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to any applicable laws or regulations, or which requires a license from any third party; (d) the written plan must not contain any material that Ashford, in their discretion, deems inappropriate for public viewing; and (e) the written plan must be original and have been created solely by the Applicant. In the event of an actual or apparent violation of these guidelines, Ashford reserves the right in its sole discretion to take such action as it deems appropriate with respect to the written plan in question, if any, including without limitation amending and/or altering the written plan to make the written plan compliant or disqualifying and/or not posting the written plan on the Entry Site. Please review the accepted file formats for the written plan and supporting documentation: .PDF, Word (.DOC or .DOCX), .JPG OR .JPEG. In order to be accepted, file submissions must be labeled with the applicant’s last name first, in addition to any document title. The recommended sections for applicants submitting a new Business Idea are as follows:
- Cover page indicating whether this is a new or existing business
- The Opportunity
- The Idea
- The Team
- The Critical Success Factors
- Potential Impact on the Economy
The recommended sections for applicants submitting description of the business they started and currently operate are as follows:
- Description of Business
- [Your] Current Role in the Business
- Market Share
- Current and Future Impact on the Economy
4. WINNER SELECTION: A total of one (1) winner will be selected by a scholarship committee designated by Ashford the “Judges”), within 90 days of the close of the Entry Period. The Judges will score each Applicant’s written plan based on the following criteria: appropriate sections, substance, business impact, and clarity. In the event of a tie, the tied Applicant with the higher “overall impression” score, as determined by the Judges, will be selected as the winner. The Judges’ decisions are final and binding in all respects.
5. WINNER VERIFICATION AND NOTIFICATION: Potential winners are subject to verification. The potential winner will be notified by phone and email, in Ashford’s discretion, within 90 days of the close of the Entry Period. If a potential winner is unreachable by phone after reasonable attempts have been made to contact such potential winner during a period of seven (7) business days, or if a notification is returned as undeliverable, the potential winner may be disqualified. Each potential winner will be required to complete and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Release within ten (10) days of receipt. Each potential winner will also be required to complete and return IRS Form W-9 (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification) within ten (10) days of receipt. Failure to sign and return all required documents within the specified time period will result in forfeiture and disqualification of the potential winner and an alternate winner may be selected.
6. SCHOLARSHIP: A total of one (1) scholarship will be awarded. The award consists of a scholarship in the amount of $5,000 toward future tuition costs only for the pursuit of an online undergraduate or graduate degree from Ashford’s Forbes School of Business. Receipt and use of the scholarship is subject to all policies, restrictions and conditions imposed by Ashford as set forth in the Ashford University Catalog, including without limitation all Ashford admission requirements. ALL FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL TAXES, AND ANY OTHER COSTS AND EXPENSES, ASSOCIATED WITH THE RECEIPT OR USE OF THE SCHOLARSHIPS ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF EACH WINNER. The scholarships are awarded WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, express or implied, without limitation. If a Winner chooses not to accept his/her scholarship, an alternate winner may be chosen. The approximate retail value of the scholarship is $5,000. Any taxes on the scholarship value are the sole responsibility of the winner. An IRS form 1099 will be issued if required by law. Scholarships consist only of items expressly specified in these rules. Any costs or expenses associated with the acceptance or use of any scholarship (including, without limitation, books and all other fees) are the responsibility of the winner. No substitution or transfer of the scholarship or the right to receive the scholarship is permitted, except that Ashford may in its discretion substitute for any scholarship an alternate scholarship of equal or greater value.
7. CONDITIONS OF SCHOLARSHIP: The scholarship award will be granted to the Winner in the form of a non-cash credit to Ashford University, and no check or cash payments will be given and/or refunded to any Winner at any time. Alternate recognition may be provided to any Winner with 100% tuition coverage. Any award of a Scholarship under this program must be exhausted within twelve (12) months following the award date indicated in the scholarship award letter or will be forfeit. Scholarship recipients who do not meet the attendance requirements as defined by the applicable degree program, will forfeit the scholarship award. Scholarship recipients found to be in violation of the Student Community Standards at any time during their enrollment with Ashford risk revocation of any scholarship awarded, at the sole discretion of Ashford.
8. GRANT OF RIGHTS: Entry constitutes an irrevocable grant of permission to Ashford and its parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, promotional partners and agents, and those they may designate from time to time, together with Forbes Media, LLC (all of the foregoing, the “Program Entities”), to use the Applicant’s name, voice, likeness and city and state of residence, and the written plan submitted by the Applicant, including without limitation modifying, altering, excerpting or amending the written plan, alone and/or separately and/or in combination with other material of any kind or nature (including without limitation a fictitious name and fictitious biographical material), for purposes of publicity or promotion and any other purpose, in all media and formats whether now known or later developed, throughout the world in perpetuity, without any additional notice or compensation (except where prohibited by law). Without limitation of the foregoing, by entering the program, each Applicant agrees that Ashford is permitted to display her/his submitted written plan, name and biographical information online for public viewing and comment. Applicants may be required to execute such releases, assignments of rights and other documentation as Sponsor requires with respect to the Applicant’s submitted written plan.
9. GENERAL RULES: All Applicants release all of the Program Entities, and all others associated with the development and execution of this Scholarship Program, from any and all claims and liabilities arising from or in connection with participation in this Scholarship Program, the delivery, non-delivery, acceptance or use of any scholarship and/or the use of the Applicant’s submitted written plan and application as permitted hereunder, including without limitation claims for injury, death, loss or damage of any kind. This Scholarship Program is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Ashford is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, incomplete, damaged, corrupted, mutilated, misdirected, misdelivered, undelivered, blocked or delayed entries or other communications, or for technical or human errors, delays or failures of any kind in connection with the submission, transmission, processing, storage or judging of entries, including without limitation any malfunctions or failures of computer hardware, computer software, networks or telephone equipment, any data loss or corruption, or any technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website or any combination thereof. Ashford reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Scholarship Program, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures or any other factor beyond Ashford’s reasonable control impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Scholarship Program or if for any reason this program may not be conducted as planned, as determined by Ashford in its sole discretion. In the event of cancellation, suspension or modification of the Scholarship Program, a notice will be posted online. By participating in the Scholarship Program, each Applicant certifies that the written plan submitted by the Applicant is original and was created solely by the Applicant, is owned by the Applicant, has not been previously published or won any award, and does not contain any material that would violate or infringe upon the rights of any third party, including without limitation copyrights, trademarks or rights of privacy or publicity. Ashford’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. The Program Entities will not be liable to any Applicant or any other person for failure to supply any scholarship or any part thereof, by reason of any acts of God, any action(s), regulation(s), order(s), or request(s) by any governmental or quasi-governmental entity (whether or not the action(s), regulation(s), order(s) or request(s) prove(s) to be invalid), equipment failure, terrorist acts, earthquake, war, fire, flood, explosion, unusually severe weather, hurricane, embargo, labor dispute or strike (whether legal or illegal), labor or material shortage, transportation interruption of any kind, work slow-down, civil disturbance, insurrection, riot, or any other cause beyond the control of the Program Entities. Applicants acknowledge that the Program Entities have neither made nor are in any manner responsible for any warranty, representation or guarantee, expressed or implied, in fact or in law, related to the scholarship award. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN APPLICANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND/OR CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, ASHFORD RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES AND OTHER REMEDIES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. Without limitation of the foregoing, Ashford reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual Applicant who tampers with the entry process. Ashford is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing or communication of the offer, administration of the Scholarship Program, or in the announcement of the scholarship or the winners. Each Applicant agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Program Entities from and against any and all claims, liabilities and damages of any kind or nature, including without limitation any copyright infringement claim or claim of violation of the right of privacy or publicity, based, in whole or in part, on the use by any of them of the Applicant’s written plan or the Applicant’s name, voice, likeness or biographical information as permitted hereunder.
11. WINNER LIST: For an official winner list, (available after the Winner Announcement Date) or a copy of these Official Rules, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to Ashford University Entrepreneurship Scholarship Program, 8620 Spectrum Center Blvd, San Diego, CA 92123. Winner list requests made more than ninety (90) days after the selection date will not be honored.
12. DISPUTES: This program is governed by the laws of the State of California without giving effect to conflict of law doctrines. As a condition of participating in this program, each Applicant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with this program, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in the State of California having jurisdiction, unless otherwise provided in agreements between the Applicant and Ashford. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will any Applicant be permitted to obtain an award of, and hereby waive all rights to claim punitive, incidental or consequential damages, including attorneys' fees, other than participant's actual out-of-pocket expenses (e.g. costs associated with entering), and each Applicant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.