Student Dispute Resolution Center

Filing a Complaint with the University

From time to time, differences may arise between students and the University. These are usually due to a minor misunderstanding and may be easily resolved by the student and University personnel engaging in further conversations. Ashford University encourages all parties to first pursue such discussions in an effort to work through these matters.

If you are unable to come to satisfactory agreement regarding your issue through engaging in conversations directly with the involved parties, the Student Dispute Resolution Center (SDRC) is available to assist. The SDRC’s mission is to provide high-quality dispute resolution services to the University and the students it serves. The SDRC aims to assist in these situations by investigating your issue and assisting in finding a mutually satisfactory solution.

There are some important points to remember when bringing a complaint to the SDRC:

  • Research any University policies regarding your specific concern. The Academic Catalog has information regarding policies and procedures that will be very helpful in understanding the nature of the issue. Please refer to Section Two: Student Rights and Responsibilities and/or Section Five: General Academic Information and Policies for more information. Click here to access the Ashford University Catalog.
  • Keep notes of your conversations. It is helpful to know names of individuals with whom you have worked, when you spoke to them, what you discussed, and any other steps you have taken to rectify the issue.
  • Stay calm. Being ill-tempered may impede your ability to find a satisfactory solution to the matter.
  • Be able to clearly express your desired outcome.

It is important to note that the SDRC does not handle the following issues*:

  • Grade appeals
  • Transfer credit appeals
  • Appeal of academic dismissal
  • Appeal of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
  • Appeal of Student Community Standards findings
  • Challenge to course content
  • Challenge regarding instructor performance

These matters are handled directly by the appropriate University department. Any requests regarding the topics mentioned above will be referred back to the appropriate University department for resolution. It is best to contact these departments directly with any of these concerns.

*The SDRC will address only when the matter relates to allegations of bias or discrimination.

The SDRC is open Monday through Friday from 9:30 am to 7:00 pm Central Time and is closed on University and national holidays.

To submit a complaint, fill out the Student Dispute Resolution Form, Click here to Submit a Complaint. You may also read about the SDRC's process at: Click here to access the Complaint Process.

For more information on the various dispute resolution processes available, please call 866.974.5700, ext. 20091, fax 877.817.6732 or email

Submit a Complaint