CHAMPS Peer Mentoring for Online Students
The mission of the CHAMPS Peer Mentoring Program is to promote success by providing support and guidance and being positive role models for new students. The program will also provide leadership development opportunities and transferable skills to high-achieving, upper-division students serving as student mentors.
How does Peer Mentoring work?
The CHAMPS Program matches high achieving, upper-division students (Mentors) with new students (Mentees) to Ashford University. Each mentor and mentee will meet at least once per week through the method they choose to discuss the transition into Ashford University. The program will last 7 weeks, but it is our hope that our mentors and mentees build relationships that last well beyond the end of the program!
By becoming a CHAMPS peer mentor, you can:
- Serve a new online learner as they acclimate to the demands of returning to school.
- Share your experience and how you achieved academic success at Ashford University.
- Inspire new students as they overcome the adjustments of studying online.
- Contribute to the academic success of new students in Ashford’s online programs.
- Enhance your own career marketability through leadership experience.
- Create a stronger overall sense of connection and belonging amongst Ashford’s online community and future alumni.
Sign up for the CHAMPS Peer Mentor Program as a peer mentor.
By becoming a CHAMPS peer mentee, you can:
- Get connected with a high-achieving, successful Ashford University student to build your support system.
- Get help navigating Ashford University’s learning resources including the Student Portal, Library, Writing Center, and many others.
- Learn how to manage your time and other responsibilities as an adult learner from students that face similar challenges.
- Gain access to videos, worksheets, and other activities designed to develop you as an online learner with Ashford University.
Sign up for the CHAMPS Peer Mentor Program as a mentee.
Along with first-hand experience in overcoming the various challenges presented by pursuing a degree online, mentors should have a passion for helping others.
Mentors and their mentees communicate regularly to discuss best practices, challenges, strategies for success, and just to have fun!
Mentors are matched with their mentees during their first few introductory courses.
Additionally, Program Administrators are available to ensure both students are getting the most out of the mentoring relationship, offer support when needed, and answer any questions the mentors may not be able to.
Mentors must have earned a minimum of 50 credits thus far at Ashford University with no more than 18 credits to go before graduation, and they must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher.
During the course of this 7-week mentoring program, mentors and their mentees communicate at least once per week through any variety of modes including phone calls, texts, email, social media, and video or audio conferences such as Skype, iChat, Google+ hangouts, and more.
Although the program is designed for new students to Ashford University, CHAMPS welcomes any student in need of support as a CHAMPS mentee.
Meet a few CHAMPS Mentors!
What our mentees are saying…
“I absolutely loved the CHAMPS program. Along with valuable insight, I gained a friend for life in my mentor. I am really excited that I had the opportunity to participate in the program and I recommend everyone do it.”
- Tayler S. – College of Health, Human Services, and Science
Email CHAMPS@ashford.edu for more information.