Ashford Students Compete at State Phi Beta Lambda Conference
Students qualify to attend national PBL conference
Nineteen Ashford University Phi Beta Lambda members attended and competed at the Iowa PBL State Leadership Conference on April 10-11 at the Des Moines Area Community College (DMACC) – Boone Campus, bringing home 37 awards.
Overall, Ashford University students earned ten first place awards, ten second place awards, five third place awards, nine fourth place awards, and three fifth place awards. Top place finishers qualified to compete at the National Leadership Conference in Chicago on June 24-27.
The Spring Leadership Conference offered workshops on interviewing, writing resumes, building financial security, and effective fundraising. Students participated in a social event focused on team building sponsored by the Iowa Army National Guard.
During the conference, Ashford sophomore Jacob Hofer from Henry, Ill. was elected Iowa Phi Beta Lambda Vice President for the 2015-2016 academic year. He served as secretary for Iowa PBL during the 2014-2015 academic year.
`Other PBL chapters represented at the conference included Grand View University, Upper Iowa University, Loras College, the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities, DMACC-Boone, DMACC-Des Moines, and Dakota State University.
Ashford University students earning awards included:
- Stephanie Nessling (West Plains, Mo.), Gema Delgado (Rockford, Ill.) and Byron Needham (Chicago, Ill.): Community Service Project (Team)
- Alex Richie (St. Louis, Mo.) and Jacob Hofer (Henry, Ill.): Social Media (Team)
- Logan Flaharty (Dickens, Iowa): Desktop Publishing
- Logan Flaharty: Help Desk
- Brianna Herin (Chadwick, Ill.): Marketing Concepts
- Stephanie Nessling: Business Law
- Jackie Niemann (Steger, Ill.): Cost Accounting
- Jackie Niemann: Client Service
- Rebecca Wolfe (Fort Madison, Iowa): Human Resource Management
- Rebecca Wolfe: Marketing Analysis & Decision Making
- Brittany Acree (Savanna, Ill.): Computer Concepts
- Tasherion Coleman (Belleville, Ill.): Business Decision Making
- Gema Delgado: Cyber Security
- Gema Delgado: Organizational Behavior & Leadership
- Jacob Hofer: Client Service
- Jacob Hofer: Hospitality Management
- Stephanie Nessling: Job Interview
- Alex Richie: Information Management
- Jakhongir Yusupov (Clinton, Iowa): Business Decision Making
- Jessica Jackson (Chicago, Ill.): Business Presentation
- Brittany Acree: Macroeconomics
- Tasherion Coleman: Public Speaking
- Brianna Herin: Desktop Publishing
- Daan Mutsaers (Mierlo, Netherlands): Business Communications
- Barb Syversen (Pewaukee, Wisc.): Desktop Publishing
- Brittany Acree: Microeconomics
- Amanda Grell (Grand Mound, Iowa): Accounting Principles
- Amanda Grell: Macroeconomics
- Ashlyn Hemmer (Durand, Ill.): Job Interview
- Brianna Herin: Contemporary Sports Issues
- Byron Needham: Client Service
- Byron Needham: Organizational Behavior & Leadership
- Barb Syversen: Business Communications
- Barb Syversen: Information Management
- Efrain Ibarra (Chicago, Ill.): Cost Accounting
- Efrain Ibarra: Financial Concepts
- Jessica Jackson: Job Interview
PBL is a national organization for students interested in pursuing a business career, however, membership is not exclusive to business majors.
About Ashford University
Where heritage meets innovation – that’s Ashford University. At Ashford, students discover relevant degree programs, innovative technology, and cherished tradition. Ashford offers associates, bachelor’s, and master’s online degree programs, while the Clinton, Iowa campus offers bachelor’s programs. Whether on campus or online, Ashford students enjoy the same supportive community. For more information, please visit www.ashford.edu, www.facebook.com/ashforduniversity, www.twitter.com/AshfordU, or call Shari Winet, Vice President of Public Relations, at 858.513.9240 x2513.