Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Mass Communication
Considering a degree in journalism? Explore this exciting area, and document the world’s events, as media evolves from the printed page to the internet when you earn your Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Mass Communication degree online from Ashford University. With this bachelor’s degree, you can learn the rights and responsibilities of news media professionals in a changing social and political landscape. This degree can prepare you with the necessary skills in order to research, write, and edit information that can be distributed in print, online media, or even broadcast live.
What you will learn
With the advancement of electronic media has come increasing demand for responsible journalists - professionals with the skills and knowledge to use new media and to broadcast timely information to the public. During your online bachelor’s degree, you will create portfolio pieces throughout your program that may be assembled into an electronic portfolio to showcase your professional journalistic skills. Upon completion of your BA in journalism, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the rights, roles, and responsibilities of news media professionals
- Apply the principles of Freedom of Speech and Freedom of the Press in a domestic and global society
- Demonstrate an understanding of diverse cultures and groups in a domestic and global society in relation to mediated communications
- Apply ethical principles in the pursuit of truth, accuracy, fairness, and diversity
- Demonstrate the ability to develop accurate, timely, and impactful mediated messages while applying the appropriate theories and concepts in the presentation of information and images
- Demonstrate the ability to conduct research, apply basic numerical and statistical concepts, evaluate information using the appropriate methods, and write clearly in the forms and styles appropriate for the profession.
- Demonstrate the ability to think critically, creatively, and independently in the development of news, and in the evaluation of their own work, and the work of others
Your Courses in Journalism and Mass Communication
Turn your career into a search for truth when you earn your Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Mass Communication degree. You will create an electronic portfolio of work to showcase your professional journalistic skills. Your online journalism degree courses include a wide range of topics, from composition and editing to research and analysis.
To help students acclimate to the online classroom, you may be required to complete Introductory Course requirements. Learn more about Introductory Courses.
Major Course Requirements (39 credits, all courses are 3 credits.)
BA in Journalism and Mass Communication
Discover the online journalism degree at Ashford University. In this video, Program Chair of the BA in Journalism and Mass Communication, Dr. Teresa Taylor Moore explains what you can expect to learn during the degree program and how it will prepare you for a rewarding career.
If you have a passion for information, media, and relaying meaningful messages to your audience, then consider pursuing this degree at Ashford University.
Careers in Journalism and Mass Communication
Those who earn an online journalism degree can position themselves for dozens of career opportunities in media and communications. Whether you choose to work in radio, television, online, or some other mass communication medium, your fact-finding and reporting skills will be crucial to your success. Many professional journalists who have earned a BA in the field can work for online or print news companies, magazines, newspapers, as well as positions in the radio and TV industries. There are many occupations that call for the strong storytelling skills journalism majors possess. Take a look at some potential career options that could be possible after earning a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism.
Faculty & Support Journalism Studies
Ashford’s distinguished journalism faculty members are here to support you on your journey to earning your bachelor's degree. The Ashford faculty each hold the appropriate credentials, and have the professional experience needed to help prepare you for a career. Ashford University also provides students with a team ready to help start planning beyond graduation. Career Services can provide you with a customized career-planning experience that is tailored to your journalism related priorities and goals.
Online Chapter Society of Professional Journalists
Need more information? You Got It.
Check out the links below to learn more about this degree.