Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Mass Communication
Explore the exciting world of journalism as it evolves from the print media to the internet when you earn your Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Mass Communication degree online from Ashford University. Learn the rights and responsibilities of news media professionals in a democracy.
What you will learn
With the advancement of electronic media has come increasing demand for responsible journalists - professionals with the skills and knowledge to use new media and to broadcast timely information to the public. You will create portfolio pieces throughout your program that may be assembled into an electronic portfolio to showcase your professional journalistic skills. Upon completion of your Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Mass Communication degree program, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the rights, roles and responsibilities of news media professionals
- Apply the journalistic concepts of accuracy, timeliness and impact
- Demonstrate professional-level communication skills in the areas of print, online media layout, report, editorial writing and interviewing
- Apply ethical principles and decision-making in the practice of journalism
- Demonstrate the research skills necessary to interpret and analyze public records, reference materials, and internet resources
Your Courses in Journalism and Mass Communication
Turn your career into a search for truth when you earn your Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Mass Communication degree. You will create an electronic portfolio of work to showcase your professional journalistic skills. Your courses include a wide range of topics, from composition and editing to research and analysis.
To help students acclimate to the online classroom, you may be required to complete Introductory Course requirements. Learn more about Introductory Courses.
Major Course Requirements (39 credits, all courses are 3 credits.)
BA in Journalism and Mass Communication
Discover the Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Mass Communication. In this video, Program Chair of the BA in Journalism and Mass Communication, Dr. Teresa Taylor Moore explains what you can expect to learn during the degree program and how it will prepare you for a rewarding career in journalism.
Careers in Journalism and Mass Communication
Whether you choose to work in radio, television, online, or some other medium, your fact-finding and reporting skills will be crucial to your success. Take a look at your potential career options.