Bachelor of Arts in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
Become empowered to help create solutions for a more secure America. Earn your Bachelor of Arts in Homeland Security and Emergency Management degree online from Ashford University and gain a broad view of emergency preparedness and security. You will learn in-depth emergency management planning and response, study the cultural and political causes of terrorism, and search for homeland security management solutions.
What you will learn
In the Bachelor of Arts in Homeland Security and Emergency Management degree, you will be exposed to relevant topics such as counter-terrorism, emergency planning for natural disasters, response to terrorism, and research and analysis. In the post-911 era, the US government created the Department of Homeland Security, which prepares for, prevents, and responds to domestic emergencies. Along with the need for tightened security, there is a need for emergency management to deal with the consequences of attacks and natural disasters. This comprehensive degree program educates security professionals in both areas. Upon completion of your emergency management degree online, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate a comprehension of relevant bodies of law, the intelligence community, and international, political, social, and cultural environments
- Develop critical thinking skills for effective problem solving relative to crisis management issues, principles, and procedures
- Understand the importance of the historic, cultural, and diversity aspects of selected populations
- Demonstrate the ability to write a substantive report or analysis using strong research skills and technical writing proficiency
- Evaluate data and analyze the validity of the information
- Create a report that demonstrates the ability to retrieve information from relevant websites including the pertinent governmental websites and repositories of information
- Evaluate the ethical implications of Homeland Security measures
Your Courses in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
Learn in-depth emergency management planning and response, study the cultural and political causes of terrorism, and search for solutions. Your courses include ethics, international relations, cybercrime, and a strong emphasis on American government and the US Constitution. This emergency management degree also includes a strong research and writing component in order to help you better analyze and understand the data you will explore.
Major Course Requirements (36 credits, all courses are 3 credits.)
Bachelor’s Degree in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
Discover the bachelor’s degree in Homeland Security and Emergency Management. In this video, Program Chair for the BA in Homeland Security and Emergency Management, Shel Silver, explains what you can expect to learn during the degree program and how it will prepare you for a rewarding career in homeland security and emergency management.
Careers in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
Government institutions and businesses are focused like never before on security and preparedness. Take a look at your potential homeland security and emergency management career options below.