Associate of Arts in Early Childhood Education
Launch your career in early childhood education when you earn your Associate of Arts in Early Childhood Education degree from Ashford University. Prepare a child for their long-term academic success by taking the first steps toward qualifying for potential opportunities in daycare and preschools. As an early childhood education professional, you will be involved in helping the development of a child’s emotional, social, and educational needs.
What you will learn
Earning an associate degree in early childhood education is your first step in building a foundation for success in the world of childcare. You will focus on important topics in early childhood, such as: development, learning assessment, special learners, and instructional strategy. Upon completion of your early childhood education associate degree online, you will be able to:
- Construct and evaluate early childhood education curriculum designed to meet the differentiated academic, social and developmental needs of young children in alignment with the NAEYC standards
- Effectively utilize and evaluate assessment information as both formative and summative to inform and adapt instruction
- Demonstrate knowledge of a wide range of early childhood education instructional strategies and behavioral techniques to address the developmental needs of various ages of young children in a structured setting
- Identify knowledge of the unique needs of special learners and adapt curriculum and instruction to meet these needs
- Identify the stages of language, physical and social development in children ages birth to eight
Your Courses in Early Childhood Education
Take the first step toward breaking into the world of childcare when you embark on your associate degree in early childhood education. Within this 67-credit program, you'll complete general education requirements that you may then transfer toward a Bachelor's degree of your choice, where you can continue your studies with a bachelor’s in early childhood education, or any additional Bachelor’s degree program with Ashford University.
Careers in Early Childhood Education
The field of early childhood education continues to grow, as it offers a variety of potential job opportunities. With an online associate degree in early childhood education, you will be starting down a career path that will allow you to assist in the education and care of children typically under the age of eight. The skills you gain from this degree program can help with high-level educational practices that may include:
- Working with a single child, versus groups of children
- Helping plan and carry out different educational curriculums
- Helping keep record of student progress, from an academic to an emotional level
- Helping organize activities to help the children learn and grow
Take a look at more specific potential early childhood career options below.
Why Choose Early Childhood Education
Take part in the growth of a child’s fundamental learning experiences. According to the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), a child at age 8 and below goes through their most rapid phase of growth and development. Earning your online associate degree in early childhood education can help you to take part in this growth and development, by giving you a deeper understanding of the needs of developing children. These skills can help in the facilitation and growth of their self-esteem, world perception, moral outlook, as well as the development of their cognitive skills, as many of these are all established between this age period.