Bachelor of Arts in English Language Learner Studies
Your ELL degree focuses on addressing the needs of those for whom English is not the first language. This English language learning degree provides you with the tools you need to perform in multiple teaching contexts, including multi-lingual classrooms and immersion settings. Earn your Bachelor of Arts in English Language Learner Studies degree from Ashford University, and learn to teach English to businesses and individuals through adult language instruction. This degree is for you if you’re currently teaching or wish to teach English language learners.
What you will learn
Gain the skillsets necessary to educate students learning English as a second language (ESL) and to function in multi-lingual classrooms. Many education professionals find that this ELL degree makes an excellent subject for their undergraduate work, in preparation for earning an advanced degree. Upon completion of the Bachelor of Arts in English Language Learner Studies degree program, you will be able to:
- Apply concepts, linguistic theories, research, knowledge of the structure of English, and sociolinguistics to facilitate the acquisition of English for English Language Learners
- Analyze the influences of culture and diversity as it affects second language learning
- Apply knowledge of meta-linguistics in second language development in constructing multiple identities
- Describe standards-based practices and strategies for developing and integrating English listening, speaking, reading and writing skills in instructional settings
- Demonstrate knowledge of history, research and current practices in the field of second language acquisition and ELL
Your Courses in English Language Learner Studies
Ashford’s online English language learning degree offers you a comprehensive study of linguistics that can provide for the unique needs of English language learners. Your courses cover subjects from reading and grammar to diversity and inter-cultural communications.
To help students acclimate to the online classroom, you may be required to complete Introductory Course requirements. Learn more about Introductory Courses.
Major Course Requirements (39 credits, all courses are 3 credits.)
English Language Learning Online
Discover Ashford’s online English language learning degree. In this video, Dr. Newton Miller, associate dean for the College of Education, explains what you can expect to learn during this ELL degree program and how it will prepare you for a rewarding career in education.
Careers in English Language Learner Studies
When you complete your Bachelor of Arts in English Language Learner Studies, you will be given the proper experience needed to become an ELL/ESL professional. Take a look at your potential career options below.