Master of Arts in Education
Expand your impact as an educator by demonstrating your commitment to educating others with an online master's degree in education from Ashford University. Make an impact on our nation's schools with the expertise that derives from an advanced master’s degree in education.
What you will learn
The Master of Arts in Education degree at Ashford University is designed to present a foundational perspective and increased specialization for educational leaders. You will study in depth those areas that most influence educational institutions, including instructional methods, curriculum design, assessment strategies, advanced pedagogical theory, and principles of leadership. Upon completion of your online master’s in education, you will be able to:
- Design appropriate and challenging learning experiences informed by analysis of how learners develop individually across the cognitive, linguistic, social, emotional, and physical patterns to promote student learning and growth
- Employ differentiated instructional education practices aligned with learner strengths and differences, diverse cultures, and diverse communities to promote student learning in a safe, collaborative, engaging, inclusive, 21st century learning environment
- Design a variety of evidence-based education assessments used for ongoing evaluation of student progress, and to guide teacher and learner decision making
- Execute an action research study that draws on the research and methods of various disciplines to address local or global educational issues
- Design learner-centered instruction aligned with Common Core State Standards, digital age standards (NETS-S), and 21st Century skills to promote learner achievement and educational growth
- Engage in continuous professional growth through leadership in educational environments and the demonstration of legal and ethical behavior in professional practices
- Use knowledge of subject matter and central concepts of the discipline(s) to create technology-enriched learning environments that promote learner achievement and innovation
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with various stakeholders through written communication, verbal communication, and a variety of current and emerging digital age tools to ensure learner growth and to advance the education profession
- Use a range of digital education technology tools to research, organize, evaluate, and communicate information while exhibiting an understanding of ethical and legal issues surrounding the use of information technologies
Your Courses in Education
Your 8 core education courses, worth 24 credits, define the foundation of knowledge and skills for you to provide instruction to diverse populations. Your specialization options are composed of courses that you can select for yourself, based on your personal interests and expertise. Your courses are taught by M.A. in education faculty members who represent a rich cross-section of education professionals who are leaders in the field. All have advanced degrees and many have relevant professional experience in educating others. These faculty members will enrich your learning environment with knowledge that can be related to your professional education career.
Major Course Requirements (24 credits, all courses are 3 credits.)
Specializations in Education
Delve into other areas of education when you add a specialization to your Master of Arts in Education program. Customize your M.A. in education even further by choosing one of the following specializations to add to your online degree (12 credits):
Curriculum & Instruction
Early Childhood Education
English Language Learners
Family & Community Services
School Leadership in the 21st Century
Careers in Education
When you graduate with your Master of Arts in Education, you will be prepared for a career in which a broad background and knowledge are required. Take a look at your potential education career options below.
Questions? Request Information
Beginning or Continuing a Career in Education
Whether you have current education experience or are new to the field, pursuing a career in education can be a great opportunity for those who are passionate about educating and teaching others. This online master's degree in education will prepare you to become a leader in the education field while maintaining your current roles and responsibilities. Classes are 100% online and give you the flexibility to complete your coursework around your busy schedule. If you are interested in learning to meaningfully apply education theories and practices to improve the lives of others, then consider pursuing a degree focused in education.