Master of Arts in Education
Demonstrate your commitment to a career in education with your Master of Arts in Education online degree from Ashford University. Make an impact on our nation's schools with the expertise that derives from an advanced degree in education.
What you will learn
The Master of Arts in Education degree at Ashford University is designed to present a foundational perspective and increased specialization for educational leaders. You will study in depth those areas that most influence educational institutions, including instructional methods, curriculum design, assessment strategies, advanced pedagogical theory, and principles of leadership. Upon completion of the Master of Arts in Education degree program, you will be able to:
- Design appropriate and challenging learning experiences informed by analysis of how learners develop individually across the cognitive, linguistic, social, emotional, and physical patterns to promote student learning and growth
- Employ differentiated instructional practices aligned with learner strengths and differences, diverse cultures, and diverse communities to promote student learning in a safe, collaborative, engaging, inclusive, 21st century learning environment
- Design a variety of evidence-based assessments used for ongoing evaluation of student progress, and to guide teacher and learner decision making
- Execute an action research study that draws on the research and methods of various disciplines to address local or global educational issues
- Design learner-centered instruction aligned with Common Core State Standards, digital age standards (NETS-S), and 21st Century skills to promote learner achievement and growth
- Engage in continuous professional growth through leadership in educational environments and the demonstration of legal and ethical behavior in professional practices
- Use knowledge of subject matter and central concepts of the discipline(s) to create technology-enriched learning environments that promote learner achievement and innovation
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with various stakeholders through written communication, verbal communication, and a variety of current and emerging digital age tools to ensure learner growth and to advance the profession
- Use a range of digital technology tools to research, organize, evaluate, and communicate information while exhibiting an understanding of ethical and legal issues surrounding the use of information technologies
MA in Education
Discover the Master of Arts in Education program. In this video, Dr. Andrew Shean, Chief Academic Learning Officer at Bridgepoint Education, explains what you can expect to learn during this master program and how it will prepare you for a rewarding career in education.
Your Courses in Education
Your 8 core education courses, worth 24 credits, define the foundation of knowledge and skills for you to provide instruction to diverse populations. Your specialization options are composed of courses that you can select for yourself, based on your personal interests and expertise.
Major Course Requirements (24 credits, all courses are 3 credits.)
Specializations in Education
Delve into other areas of education when you add a specialization to your Master of Arts in Education program. You must choose one of the following specializations to add to your degree program (12-15 credits):
Curriculum & Instruction
Early Childhood Education
English Language Learners
Exceptional Systems for Revolutionizing Education
Family & Community Services
School Leadership in the 21st Century
Careers in Education
When you graduate with your Master of Arts in Education, you will be prepared for a career in which a broad background and knowledge are required. Take a look at your potential career options.