Master of Public Health
Expand your opportunities and enhance your academic credentials in the rapidly growing health care industry with your online Master of Public Health degree from Ashford University. Whether you are a current or aspiring health professional, this degree provides you with a flexible online education that will build upon previous knowledge and work experience to improve the health of the communities where you live and work.
What you will learn
The Master of Public Health program examines the socio-environmental issues responsible for health-related behaviors that lead to disease, mortality, and health disparities. Through your coursework, you will gain an understanding of the biological and social determinants of health while exploring key public health issues through epidemiology, biostatistics, and research. You will learn how to create, plan, administer, and evaluate public health programs in diverse settings, including research institutions, health care facilities, community organizations, schools, and governmental agencies both large and small. Upon graduation, you will be able to:
- Design and conduct assessments that integrate the concepts, methods, and tools of public health data collection, analysis, interpretation, and evidence-based reasoning to determine the health status and/or health needs of a population
- Demonstrate effective communication skills and the ability to interact with both diverse individuals and communities utilizing public health education, community empowerment, and information dissemination
- Integrate public health theories, models, and concepts across a broad range of disciplines (social, scientific, behavioral, etc.) into public health research and practice to produce or impact an intended public health outcome
- Apply quantitative and qualitative research findings found in medical, public health, and social science journals to the identification and pursuit of opportunities for promoting health and preventing disease across the lifespan and for enhancing public health preparedness
- Evaluate how the biological, environmental, socioeconomic, behavioral, and cultural determinants of health influence the global and societal burden of disease and contribute to health disparities
- Apply systems thinking concepts to effectively implement and manage public health interventions as members of interdisciplinary teams
- Evaluate how the legal, ethical, economic, and regulatory dimensions of health care and public health systems influence public health policies
Your Courses in Public Health
Serve the greater good – earn your Master of Public Health from Ashford University. Your curriculum includes online courses in biostatistics, epidemiology, and health services administration, as well as a Practicum where you will gain real-world professional experience. You will also choose to follow one of two program tracks to add extra focus to your degree.
Major Course Requirements
(27 credits, all courses 3 credits, except where noted.)
Public Health Tracks
The Master of Public Health program provides you with an additional opportunity to enhance your knowledge and skills in a specific health discipline. You will select a 15-credit track to complete your program. Select one of the following tracks:
Click below to see the major course requirements
Careers in Public Health
When you graduate with your Master of Public Health, you will be prepared for leadership roles in the health services industry. Take a look at some of the potential public health career options you could pursue.