For Academic All Stars Only
Add prestige to your education.
Ashford University’s Honors College engages a community of exceptional students in educational opportunities that promote leadership, innovation, global perspective, and civic responsibility. Join Ashford’s best and brightest undergraduate students in the Honors College and be recognized for your academic achievements.
How It Works
If you are an undergraduate student who has achieved an excellent academic record, you can elevate your degree program by applying for entry into Ashford’s Honors College. The Honors College curriculum adds a prestigious enhancement to your degree by substituting Honors College classes for select General Education and/or elective courses in your degree program. The Honors College is not available to graduate students.
The full Honors College curriculum consists of three lower division courses and three upper division courses for a total of 18 credits. You will have two options for completing Honors requirements: either complete all six courses or complete the three upper division courses. The three lower division courses may replace three courses in your General Education sequence that fulfill the same competencies (Critical Thinking, Civic Responsibility, Intercultural and Global Awareness). The three upper division courses will serve as elective courses.
Benefits of the Honors College
When you complete the Honors program, you are recognized as an academic achiever. As an Honors student, you will receive numerous benefits including:
- Support from a collaborative and holistic support team consisting of a Student Advisor, Financial Aid Advisor, and Career & Alumni Advisor
- Mentorship from an Ashford faculty member
- A dedicated phone line to contact Honors advisors
- Access to the benefits of Ashford’s partnership with Forbes
- An invitation to join a college community group within AU Connect, Ashford’s online alumni community
- Access to an Honors College social platform
- Special recognition from the Honors College at commencement
- Honors College designation on your diploma and transcript
Eligibility and Application
To be eligible for the Honors College, you must have completed 30 credits and have earned a cumulative grade point average of 3.75. If you have completed fewer than 30 credits, you must complete 15 credits at Ashford with a 3.75 GPA to apply for the Honors College. To remain active in the Honors College, you must maintain a 3.5 cumulative GPA.
To apply for the Honors College if you are a current Ashford student:
1. Log into your Student Portal
2. Click My Forms on the left hand navigation pane
3. Click Registrar Forms
4. Click Online Forms
5. Search for Honors College Application
6. Click Honors College Application for Acceptance and follow the instructions.
If you are interested in applying to the Honors College but haven’t yet enrolled at Ashford University, connect with an Ashford representative at 855.245.1415 to learn more.
Part of your application requires you to submit:
- An essay
- A current resume
- Two letters of recommendation – one academic and one non-academic
HON 270 Thinking Critically about Global Issues
HON 280 Society, Power, and Responsibility
HON 290 Studies in Culture and Society: Exploring Diverse Perspectives
HON 470 Leadership in the 21st Century
HON 480 Envisioning Innovation and Creativity in the 21st Century
HON 490 Honors College Seminar
Students who successfully complete the sequence of Honors courses will be able to:
- Display leadership and interdisciplinary teamwork skills
- Utilize innovative approaches and informed decision-making when solving problems
- Interpret current global issues through multiple perspectives
- Evaluate the impact of various forms of civic engagement