Bachelor of Arts in English
Create a versatile career with your Bachelor of Arts in English from Ashford University. The Bachelor of Arts in English degree program offers you a disciplined study of literature and a rigorous foundation for the development of writing and critical thinking skills. Professionals with Bachelor of Arts degrees in English are in demand for their proficiency in communication and writing by employers in a broad range of fields.
What you will learn
By deepening your understanding of this unique language, you strengthen your comprehension of our world and your ability to communicate. You will fathom new insights into the social, philosophical, and moral themes that are crucial to a just society and global community. Upon completion of your Bachelor of Arts in English degree program, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of various literary genres and works in their historical, analytical, and sociopolitical contexts
- Develop the ability to write creatively, clearly, and concisely
- Develop critical thinking skills through intellectual inquiry
- Demonstrate the ability to integrate significant literary ideas and themes into a personal worldview
- Evaluate the power of language relative to ethnicities and gender
- Analyze how writing, language, and literature function to shape human culture and individual identity
- Apply effective independent research skills
Your Courses in English
Read and appreciate great books. Analyze how language and literature shape culture and identity. Your courses include theory, linguistics, and composition, in addition to surveys of American and British literature.
Major Course Requirements (36 credits, all courses are 3 credits.)
BA in English
Discover the Bachelor of Arts in English. In this video, Dr. Jonathan Wilson, Program Chair for the BA in English, explains what you can expect to learn during the degree program and how it will prepare you for a rewarding career in English.
Careers in English
No matter what career you choose, the study of English enhances your understanding of the world. Take a look at your potential career options.